In the place of the present-day Redoute, a watchtower used to stand in the past which the Thököly family, the owner of the town castle, let rebuild into a mansion in the 17th century. In 1705 – 1708, it became the printing house of Matej Glaser Vitrarius. In 1818, the building was rebuilt into a Redoute in the style of Classicism. There is a Latin inscription on its facade: VigILIIs hospItIbV aC obLeCta MentIs DestInata (Intended for guards, guests and entertainment). The tower was removed in 1846.
The church was built as a part of the row of houses in the place of three burghers´ houses. The municipality of Kežmarok donated them to the Catholic Church in 1650, in order to build up a small church. The present-day Catholic Church of the Holy Cross was namely owned by the Protestants at those times. With this act, the municipality wanted to express their thanks to the prominent persons of the Roman-Catholic Church, who stood on the town´s side in the fights against the castle lords Thököly.
The Old Market street is considered one of the most beautiful streets of Kežmarok. Most of the houses were originally built in the 13th century and in many of them elements of the so called “tower houses” are visible, which were the oldest in the town. The Old Market street is the original historical centre of the town. It is possible that Old Market was also the name of the settlement which would later become the town of Kežmarok.
The historical cemetery of Kežmarok is situated near the New Evangelical Church. It was founded in1674, in the times of counter-reformation, when the Protestants had to be buried outside the town walls. It was gradually growing and from the end of the 18th century also the Catholics started to be buried on the left side of the cemetery, while the Protestants were on the right side. This tradition did not cease until the beginning of the 20th century.
The 14th century was not only the time of bloom for Kežmarok but also of wars and riots. They were the reasons why the town inevitably needed to improve its defensive system. We do not exactly know how the fortification was built, the first written mention of the town walls comes from 1368. The town location itself, which was protected by the streams of the Poprad River and Ľubický potok, offered good conditions for the fortification. The town fortification lined the shape of the medieval town with an area of more than 20 ha.
Kežmarok bol v minulosti slobodným kráľovským mestom. Slávu Kežmarku šírili umelci, spisovatelia, básnici, kupci, ale aj vynikajúci remeselníci.
Na slávne remeselné a cechové tradície nadviazal od roku 1991 festival ľudových remesiel pod názvom Európske ľudové remeslo. Dnes je už festival remesiel vyhľadávaným medzinárodným kultúrno - spoločenským podujatím.