New evangelical church

New evangelical church New evangelical church

In the 2nd half of the 19th century, the Protestants living in Kežmarok decided to build a new and more representative temple. In 1870, a church delegation visited the country´s main architect Teofil Hansen, who gave them his own projects, originally intended for Orient. The project of the church interested them with its uniqueness - its building style should not be uniform but eclectic - the building should include the Byzantine, Romanesque, Renaissance, Moorish and even Oriental elements. The church was commenced in 1872, and in 1880 it was already roofed over. The financial problems caused that the construction was interrupted and the church was completed and sanctified only in 1894.

The church has one nave and the altar space is situated at the height of the floor. There is a wooden statue of the resurrected Christ and a cross on the altar. The whole building is dominated by the exact symmetry - two pulpits, two rows of pews - men sat on the left, women on the right side. More than 900 people can be seated on the ground floor and on the organ gallery. There is an organ from 1894 on the gallery. 

In 1909, the Mausoleum of Imre Thököly (1657 – 1705) was built to the church. Thököly came from Kežmarok and was the leading personality of the anti-Habsburg uprising organized by the Hungarian nobility. He was also the fighter for religious freedom. After defeat, he took refuge in the Town of Izmid in Turkey where he also died. In 1906, his remains were taken to Kežmarok. In Mausoleum, there is a sarcophagus with Thököly´s remains, the original gravestone from Izmid, and a new gravestone with the relief Thököly, which is Barnabáš Holló´s work.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

Featured Listings

Virtual Guide